Available 24/7

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
First-Degree Criminal Trespass

First-Degree Criminal Trespass in Aurora | CRS 18-4-502

First-degree criminal trespass in Aurora, Colorado occurs when someone unlawfully enters another’s residence. Entering or remaining in a person’s home, condo, townhouse, or apartment without authorization can lead to stiff penalties. Additionally, this charge applies if a person unlawfully enters someone’s vehicle intending to commit a crime. Lacking permission to go inside a dwelling is especially risky behavior in Arapahoe County. If you’re facing a charge of trespassing in Aurora, Centennial, or Englewood, exercise your right to remain silent and consult an experienced defense attorney.

What’s 1st Degree Trespassing in Colorado?

Colorado’s first-degree criminal trespass law prohibits unauthorized entry into people’s residences. CRS 18-4-502 provides specific definitions of this offense in Arapahoe County. You commit 1st degree trespassing in Aurora, Centennial, or Littleton if you:

  • knowingly and unlawfully,
  • enter or remain in the dwelling of another,
  • or enter any motor vehicle intending to commit a crime

Having a property owner’s permission or invitation to enter or remain somewhere is crucial in avoiding a first-degree trespassing charge. In terms of vehicle entry, the intent to commit a crime must be formed prior to entry for trespassing in the first-degree to apply. This often occurs in situations where a person breaks into a vehicle to steal something (theft) inside the car, truck, or SUV. Entering the bed of a truck to commit a crime can even be considered 1st degree trespass.

Is First-Degree Criminal Trespass a Felony in Colorado?

While the other degrees of trespassing are usually misdemeanor offenses, 1st degree trespassing is a class 5 felony throughout Colorado. A conviction can lead to:

  • a maximum of 3 years in DOC,
  • 2 years of parole,
  • fines of $1,000 – $100,000

Aurora Trespass Defense Attorney

Defendants with strategic representation from an experienced trespass attorney often achieve a better outcome. Perhaps you had permission to be on the property, you didn’t know you were trespassing, or calling the location a ‘dwelling’ is a stretch. That said, contact our office for a free, confidential consultation with Aurora’s top criminal lawyers. We will carefully analyze your trespassing case, as well as recommend next steps. Our affordable fees and flexible payment plans make obtaining a lawyer possible in these uncertain times.

If you or someone you know is facing a trespassing allegation in Colorado, be smart. Contact the highly-rated criminal defense attorneys at O’Malley and Sawyer, LLC at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.

Photo by Alice Donovan Rouse

Subscribe to receive Colorado criminal law updates.

We will send you updates on Colorado criminal law after each legislative session. 

more articles

misdemeanor theft attorney

Misdemeanor Theft Attorney in Boulder, CO

Theft is a crime in Boulder, CO that involves intentionally stealing someone else’s property. It is typically a misdemeanor offense when the item(s) stolen falls in the range of $50 to under $2,000. Shoplifting is the most commonly seen form of larceny, but many other actions can lead to a significant criminal charge. When the

Read More »
Sexual Exploitation of a Child

Internet Sexual Exploitation of a Child in Denver | Criminal Defense

Sexually exploiting a child using a smartphone, tablet, or computer is a serious internet sex crime in the state of Colorado. Encouraging a young person to sexually touch themselves or another while communicating with them electronically can result in devastating criminal charges. Whether the offense includes texting images back-and-forth or using a video chat, law

Read More »
Should I refuse a chemical test

What Happens if I Refuse a DUI Chemical Test?

If you are arrested for driving under the influence, you will be asked to take to a breath or blood test. The purpose of the test is to analyze your blood alcohol concentration (BAC). If an officer believes you are under the influence of drugs, you will be asked to take a blood test. Refusing a chemical test may result in a driver’s license suspension. Suspension

Read More »
Scroll to Top